Effecting local, state or federal policy changes is rarely easy. And companies or organizations that seek to influence legislative and regulatory agendas can fail. Some lobbying efforts fail because their arguments are weak, and their proposals would make matters worse rather than better. However, most fall victim to poor preparation and haphazard execution.
Shaping the Political Landscape
At the Bell & Washington Law Firm, our government affairs attorneys help organizations and companies in the Atlanta area to avoid these mistakes as they seek to shape the political landscape. We know that lawmakers, regulatory officials, advocacy groups, and even media outlets have political biases, making aligning interests and forming a coalition much like tiptoeing through a minefield.
Our attorneys have been handling governments and government agencies for decades. They have helped dozens of individuals, organizations, and corporations in Fulton, DeKalb and Cobb counties reach their legislative goals. The ways that our government affairs attorneys guide legislative agendas and influence political outcomes include:
- Performing research: Our attorneys monitor pending legislation, regulations and enforcement actions and keep track of political polls and lobbying activities. These efforts help our clients to avoid pitfalls that could derail their initiatives.
- Coordinating with the media: Managing internal and external communications and framing a consistent message is crucial when matters are politically sensitive. To ensure media outlets receive information that supports proposals in a timely manner, our attorneys may hold meetings, conference calls or webinars and release press notices and newsletters.
- Networking: The backing needed to meet policy or legislative goals is often nurtured at industry forums and events. Our attorneys attend these gatherings to assist our clients and help them achieve their networking goals.
- Testifying before officials: The decision to move forward with legislative or regulatory agendas is usually taken after hearings or investigations. Our attorneys present testimony before agency committees to ensure that lawmakers have accurate and relevant information when they make these decisions.
- Drafting proposals: Drafting a proposal that identifies a problem, presents a solution and addresses possible objections is usually the first step on the road to policy change. Our experienced attorneys draft proposals that encourage lawmakers to take up the issues our clients care about.
Getting the Message Out
Convincing lawmakers to consider measures that seem at odds with their political interests is a lot less challenging when proposals are supported by solid research and backed by the general public. During the initial stages of a legislative or regulatory effort, the Bell & Washington Law Firm may call on its extensive network of experts to create a sound and cohesive policy message and help its clients raise awareness. The advice these experts offer is usually insightful and instrumental, and they may even file amicus curiae briefs in support of legal positions they endorse. Individuals and organizations that could provide this type of assistance include:
- Public relations companies
- Media specialists
- Think tanks
- Grassroots groups
- Professional and trade associations
- Advocacy organizations
Clearing the Road
This team-based and strategic approach is designed to generate interest and identify and address potential problems. Putting in this work sets Bell & Washington apart from other law firms, and the extra effort is particularly important when we represent companies in established or emerging industries struggling to cope with unfair laws and overly harsh regulations. The kind of cases we help our clients with include:
- Climate and environmental legislation
- Appropriation bills
- The Americans with Disabilities Act
- Transportation issues
- Workplace safety mandates
- Infrastructure projects
- Rural development plans
Serving Our Clients
The Bell & Washington Law Firm takes a bipartisan approach to ensure that our clients have access to key figures and decision-makers on both sides of the political aisle. We also understand that time is of the essence when pending legislation or regulatory changes threaten business interests or could leave communities vulnerable. We also work with our clients to identify opportunities created by new policies and laws. Our clients include:
- Businesses of all sizes
- Trade associations
- Government organizations
- Coalitions of private sector individuals or groups
- Companies in highly regulated industries like health care, gaming and pharmaceuticals
Common Cases We Handle
Municipal Finance Our attorneys are listed in the Red Book as qualified and experienced public finance counsel. We are subject matter experts in areas involving municipal finance transactions and public finance law, and this experience allows us to provide our clients with comprehensive representation. We serve state and local governments throughout the Southeastern United States.
Election Litigation We have extensive knowledge about voter’s rights, election contest litigation, campaign finance law compliance, and more. Put us in your corner if you need legal representation regarding a state or federal election law issue, and our skilled attorneys will work tirelessly to reach a successful outcome.
Ethics Complaints The Bell & Washington Law Firm is experienced in defending state and local government officials against ethics complaints. We have defended many clients against baseless ethics complaints and have the experience and skill to guide you through the process.
Contact Bell & Washington Law Firm
Get a Free consultation today
Facing the vast might of the government can seem overwhelming at times, but sound arguments made at the right time and delivered to the right people can help to level the playing field. The attorneys at the Bell & Washington Law Firm are experienced in all aspects of government affairs, and they will work tirelessly to help you obtain the outcome you desire.
If you need help, contact us for a FREE consultation at 404.437.6641. Alternatively, you can fill out our online contact form to learn more about how we can be of assistance.